Being an unstoppable solver of problems, big and small, this page is a simple fix.
From my dedicated poetry shelf, once in a while I’ll pull down, at random, a book of poetry and like stabbing a finger to a map to choose a chance destination, I’ll flip the book open to a random page. Without judgment or censorship, I’ll share what I find there with you.
After you’ve read the poem, I’d love to hear what you think about it, your reactions, what feelings or memories the piece evoked.
- Irving Layton[1912-2006], Early Morning Sounds, p.200 from A Wild Peculiar Joy: Selected Poems
- Lucille Clifton [1936-2010], i am accused of attending to the past … p.78 from A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver
- Sylvia Plath [1932-1963], The Moon and the Yew Tree, p.41 from “Ariel“
- Pat Schneider, Now, page 16 from “Another River: New and Selected Poems“
- Carla Braidek, How Does the Sun Go, page 73 from “A Map In My Blood”
- Karen Solie, Double, random page 48 from “Pigeon“
- Elizabeth Burns [1957-2015], Making the moon jar, page 52 from “HELD“
- Mary Oliver, That Tall Distance, page 37 from “Felicity“
- Michael Farrell, tit for tat, page 10 from “thempark“
- Sharon Olds, My Mother’s Pansies, page 63 from “Blood,Tin, Straw“
- Sue Goyette, from Ocean, page/poem TWENTY
- Anne Michaels, from Correspondences, page 98 from “The Griffin Poetry Prize Anthology 2014“
- Anna Swanson, Lullaby for small, page 15, “The Nights Also“
- Don Marquis, the lesson of the moth, page 111, “Good Poems for Hard Times – Selected and introduced by Garrison Keillor”.
- Mary Oliver, Watering the Stones, page 41, “Blue Horses“
- William Butler Yeats, An Acre of Grass, page 117,”W. B. Yeats : Selected Poems” John Kelly (Author)
- Michael Crummey, At home on a cold winter’s night. The changing scenes of life. (1928), page 98, “Hard Light“
- Mary Oliver, Fourth Sign of the Zodiac, page 61, “Blue Horses“
- Pat Schneider, Finally, page 29, “Another River : New and Selected Poems“
- Anne Wilkinson, Untitled, page 50, “The Essential Anne Wilkinson: Selected by Ingrid Ruthig“
- Michael Pleau, High winds, page 48, “Eternity Taking Its Time“
- Carl Phillips, Just the Wind for a Sound, Softly, page: 33, “The Griffin Poetry Prize Anthology 2014“
- Mary Oliver, The First Time Percy Came Back, page: 25, “A Thousand Mornings“
- Billy Collins, “Aimless Love“, page: 146, Watercoloring
- Michael Pleau, introduction to “Eternity Taking Its Time“
- Billy Collins, “Aimless Love“, page: 104, The Golden Years
- Nikki Giovanni, “Love Poems”, page: 71, Poetry Is a Trestle
- Mark Strand’s, “Almost Invisible“, page: 11, The Students of the Ineffable